As a musician, when I head the word "composition" I immediately think of someone writing a piece of music. However, I realize that there are many other definitions for that word. For example, Webster defines it as "an intellectual creation". (See other definitions here! ) Therefore, I feel as if we are right to call ourselves composers. So far we have been asked to think, contemplate, and compose pieces both that express ourselves and that show how we feel about a subject (and hopefully both of those written components have been intellectual!).
To compose something requires inspiration, thought, and effort. A musical composer can't just slap some notes on a staff and call it a symphony. Real intellectual creations require thought and time. You need to go and spend some time with yourself to really figure out how you feel on a subject or issue. At least, that's my opinion. I know that I can't make up my mind about anything when I feel as if time is quickly rushing away from me. My best thoughts come out of a bit of pondering. To call something a composition, whether it is a film, art exhibit, or symphony, you must be willing to put thought behind it and have the knowledge required to back up your thoughts.
There are still obvious differences between compositions though, both in medium and quality of work. A written paper is different from a painting. They both require different mediums and a different set of skills. It would also be obvious if someone writing a paper started a few hours before it was due. The work would most likely be sloppy and the thoughts scrambled. Same with the painting. The painting may not have real development or may just not really be presenting a message to the audience.
Here's a little something I found interesting today; I love folk music. So I was listening to a song called "Saro" by Sam Amidon and realized that the lyrics were extremely similar to another song I love ("Pretty Saro" by a local composer named Kenneth Frazelle). It is just interesting to think that familiar hand-me down lyrics could weave their way into two very different genres of music. One is more "New Folk" and the other was composed to be performed in a more professional setting. Pretty neat, right? Here are links to both songs:
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment