Monday, May 28, 2012

How am I composed?

How are you composed? (What are you made of? Who, where, and what influenced you?) I was born in Massachusetts but only lived there for a few years. When I was four my mom, dad and I moved to Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I've lived here for the rest of my life, go to school here, but I don't plan on spending the rest of my life here.

When I was five, my parents got divorced and my father moved to Reidsville and eventually got married to my step-mom, Susan. Later on, my mom got married to my step-father, Hal. I believe this moment really shaped who I am today. Being a child of divorce changes the way I look at relationships. It has also affected how I relate to my parents, all four of them. I also think all four of them have had very large impacts on my life. My dad and I are basically the same person. We make the same jokes, and think about things the same way. We have always been inseparable.

 This summer, I helped my dad and step-mom move about 3,600 miles to Portland, Oregon. This picture was taken on that trip in Dyersville, Iowa at the house where "Field of Dreams" was filmed. Its always been one of our favorite movies.

My mom has also made a giant impact on my life. She has constantly worked incredibly hard to give me everything. I remember a time in ninth grade when my school was planning a trip to Europe and I desperately wanted to go, but I didn't think it was possible. However, my mom somehow saved up enough money to send me and I wound up having the best time. Shes headstrong at times, and we fight occasionally, but she has always been someone I look up to.





The first is just a picture I took (and love) of my mom and the second is the two of us at my high school graduation party.

My step-parents have influenced my life in a very different way. My step-dad and I have extremely different opinions on just about everything and sometimes he can be very arrogant, but he has taught me almost how I don't want to be. That sounds bad, but its true. He tends to think before he speaks, and now I do my best to avoid it. My step-mom, Susan, is a very kind, sweet woman and she is very career driven. She has taught me to go for anything I want, even if it seems impossible. When she was applying to be the national director of a non-profit based out of Portland, Orgeon she didn't think she would get the job. But, she put her best foot forward and fought hard for it. While I may not always like the fact that she is the reason she and my dad now live across the country, I know she is there because she fought hard and I aim to do the same.


From the left: Susan, my step-mom, Holly, my mom, me and Hal, my step-dad.


All four of my parents and the way they live their lives have really shaped who I am today. Sure, my family structure is less than traditional, but I love it. 

Okay, I'm not trying to be cliche here, but another person who has completely changed my life is my boyfriend, Matt. He is one of the smartest, most hard working people I have ever met. During the school year he would work 30+ hours a week, commute to UNCG four times a week and handle a full academic course load. I quite honestly do not know how he stays sane. He is incredibly intelligent, that's probably how. He makes good grades, and in general is just a very intellectual person. He's constantly curious and wants to learn everything about just about everything.




He pushes me to do more, even though sometimes I want to take the easy way out. Sure, it frustrates me to no end sometimes, but eventually I see the rewards.  He makes me want to be the best version of myself that I can be. He makes me want to learn more, see more, and study more because his passionate curiosity for everything is absolutely contagious.

I could list more people who have touched my life, but I think these five are the most important. Sure, there are other people I look up to artistically but, at the root of who I am as an artist is who I am as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment