Wednesday, May 23, 2012

BTW, LOL

I'm not a big fan of "text speak". Whenever I text someone I try to be grammatically correct and, in general, I shy away acronyms. However, I realize that this is not necessarily the case with all of my generation. For the most part people say what they need to say using as few words as possible. Is this making us dumber as a generation? I'm not really sure.

In an article in Wired magazine, it is said that "video and PowerPoint have replaced carefully crafted essays, and texting has dehydrated language into "bleak, bald, sad shorthand". An age of illiteracy is at hand, right?". On one hand, I agree. I feel that, as a generation, we have gotten a bit less verbose. There is a certain beauty in language that I feel like we have almost lost entirely. Something I really enjoy is sitting down to read a good book and actually having to think about the words on the page and what the author is trying to say. I feel that, as a generation, we have lost this passion for understanding. As long as it is around 100 pages and has a snappy story, we'll gobble it up. I feel like text compositions have gotten simpler and devoid of the interest and passion they once had.

Maybe we have gotten to the point where a paycheck is more important than passion, who am I to say? Sure, I have taken singing gigs simply for the paycheck, and I may not have been as excited about those performances as I would a performance of music I really loved, but I did them so I could pay the bills. But I digress.

I feel that maybe there is a time and a place for using acronyms and basic language, but there is also a time to paint with words. Maybe at times we will all need to compose simply because we are being paid, but there will be other times when composing will take every ounce of passion and energy we have. So, where do we draw the line on how we can define composition? I feel like this is a very complicated question and I'm only beginning to scratch the surface. 

No comments:

Post a Comment