Initially, I came up with the ideas of either using photo editing software to explore making multi-layer images, making a video that combines audio from the video and then a music/speaking track on top, or creating a website to market myself as a performer. While I am most interested in the first two, i feel like the last idea would be the most useful in my career as an artist. I've finally settled on option one, exploring multi-layer photography and seeing what I can create. While it may not be the most useful, I feel like this project will be the most interesting.
Talking
1.) Exploring multi-layer photography.
2.) Making another video that combines both audio from the actual video but then layering music tracks on top of it to create something different.
Hey
Lulu, good ideas all, good luck deciding! re: option #3 you may find
this short research piece, done by Brenna Caldwell in the spring term,
useful (link below). It's about video auditions for singers. If you
decide to do a project on self-marketing
and/or websites development for singers you might for example interview
people in the SOM about these matters (the interviews could end up as
text, audio, video, etc.) I tend to think of websites and blogs as
"platforms" and things like video audition recordings as "assets." The
latter may be more important than the former, but they do often go
together, and again folks in the SOM would be able to advise you better
on this. Anyway, here is the link to Brenna's research piece: https://sites.google.com/ site/dmasummeredition/ video-auditions-in-music
Gathering
I've found some very inspirational images on Google so far that I want to try and emulate with my multi-layer photography project. Here are some of the images that I find inspirational:
I also found an interesting website that does not exactly apply the same definition of "multi-layer photography" as I am going for, but I still found the information useful.
Here it is!
I've also contacted a Facebook friend of mine who is a photographer and she recommended that I start with creating multi-layer images using landscapes or still life photography because then it is much easier to control the outcome of the image. I feel like I'm on the right track to continue my work tomorrow!
Creating
Today I have done a bit of experimenting with creating multi-layer photograph compositions with some older photographs I took over a year ago. While this has worked in creating an interesting image, I feel like I could push myself a bit further and create something a bit more dynamic. Tomorrow I'm going to try working with mixing different images in different layers. For example, I'm working pretty much exclusively with landscape photography so I'm thinking of mixing together multiple landscapes. Such as combining a photo of the field by my house with a photo of Mt. Hood from my last visit to Oregon. I'm not sure how this will turn out, it could be an awful mess, but I feel like its worth a shot! I will let you know how this turns out tomorrow.
Day two of creating! Today I decided to do a bit more "gathering" since I wanted to delve more into multi-layer photographs that combined multiple images. I found some interesting ideas that inspired me to push myself to be a bit more creative with my experimenting. I worked with making multiple layers of the same image again but I also worked with trying to make more visually interesting compositions by combining layers of multiple images. Here are some of the images I drew inspiration from:
Neat, right? I really love the last one. The combination of the cityscape and the profile of the girl is really beautiful. I'm still tinkering around with exactly what images I'd like to combine, but I'm thinking the final product is going to be very similar to that last inspirational image. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist so a lot of my time on this project has been spent attempting to combine images to create the ideal composition. More to come tomorrow!
Reflecting
I really had a lot of fun with this project and, even though I don't have any intention of becoming a professional photographer, I feel like the skills I gained in doing this work will be beneficial for any art I may want to do in the future.
I wound up doing a few images that were duplicate layers of the same photo, but then I also have a few that are combinations of different images. Alright! So here are my finished products!
This is one of my favorites. Its just two layers with a different image on each layer, and I played around with the saturation and contrast of each image quite a bit to come up with something I really liked. (All of these images were also taken by me.)
I'm not too sure how I feel about this one. While I like the hue of the branches, I feel like the image almost makes you a bit dizzy...but I'm still on the fence. This is one of the first ones that I experimented with just using duplicate layers.
This composition combines two different images of the same flower, which I really think is neat. I like the contrast of being able to see the similarities and differences in the images at the same time. This one was one of my first experiments into combining different images into one composition. I think it turned out pretty well!
Again, not too sure how I feel about this one. I messed with the contrast of the image, and then decided to stack layers of the same image while decreasing the opacity of each layer. I think the effect is very neat, but I think I may have gone a bit layer crazy.
Out of all of the photos using duplicate layers, I think this one is my favorite. It still is obviously a combination of images, but is very simple and clean.
I really like these last two images a lot. The first is a combination of pictures I took while in Portland, Oregon, and the second is a combo of pictures taken outside my house during different seasons. I edited the two images used in the Portland composition quite a bit to get the saturation I was really looking for, while the second image is not edited at all (besides the layering).
Overall, I really enjoyed this project and feel like I got a lot out of it. It was definitely time consuming to try and get the exact right combinations of images, opacity, saturation, and so on...but, in the end, I feel that the images I produced were worth it! I hope you enjoyed them.







No comments:
Post a Comment